TMD Screening and Treatment
TMJ disorder or TMD, is a painful and potentially debilitating health condition that affects your temporomandibular joints that connect your jawbone to your skull. It can be difficult to determine what could be causing your disorder, which is why it’s important to know what symptoms to look out for so you can seek professional help as soon as possible. TMJ therapy can help ease your discomfort, improve your quality of life, and help protect your teeth. At Accent Family Dentistry, Dr. Gong and our staff are more than happy to help restore your bite and health, so don’t hesitate to contact us.
What are the Symptoms of TMJ Disorder?
When you schedule an appointment with Dr. Gong, she will help determine the root cause of your TMD so she can provide you with a diagnosis along with long-lasting relief. Before that though, it’s important to know what symptoms to look out for so you can seek help sooner rather than later. Some signs that may indicate you have TMJ disorder include:
- Tenderness or pain in your jaw.
- Pain in one or both of your TMJs.
- Pain in or around your ear.
- Discomfort or difficulty chewing.
- Facial pain.
- Locking joints, making it hard to open and close your mouth.
You may also hear clicking or feel a grating sensation each time you open and close your mouth to chew and speak. If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s best to schedule an appointment so Dr. Gong can evaluate your bite and temporomandibular joints.
What is TMJ Therapy?
At Accent Family Dentistry, Dr. Gong is focused on providing you with lasting pain relief, which is why she offers multiple therapy options, such as:
- Nightguard Appliances- These custom-crafted oral appliances are placed between your teeth to minimize the damage caused by grinding and clenching. They can protect your oral health by preventing unnecessary wear-and-tear on your teeth.
- Occlusal Equilibration- After Dr. Gong examines your bite to help her identify areas of your jaw where excessive stress is happening, she’ll make necessary adjustments to help ease your pain.
- TENS Treatment- This treatment utilizes a machine that sends electrical pulses to help stimulate your muscles and relieve stiffness. It can also restore your jaw mobility.
Dr. Gong has studied TMD/occlusion and is well-versed in preventive treatments that can help ease her patients’ discomfort from this debilitating condition. Seeking TMD treatment can change your lifestyle for the better and ensure your wellbeing and comfort.
Why is it Important to Treat Your TMJ Disorder?
Most patients who suffer from TMD can have their condition successfully treated. It can impact your life and keep you from enjoying small things like chewing gum, eating the foods you like, and cause you chronic discomfort from a tense jaw. When you seek treatment and get diagnosed by Dr. Gong and our dedicated team of dental professionals, you’ll be able to get the most out of your everyday life.